When hurricanes hit they can cause catastrophic damage to cities, homes and businesses, as we’ve seen in the past with devastation in Houston, Puerto Rico and New Orleans. As the southeastern United States awaits another major Hurricane in Florence, we wanted to provide some ways you can prepare your families and businesses.
1. Get an Emergency Supply Kit
An emergency supply kit provides the basic necessities you need, as it will be difficult to travel or get access to things like food, water and other necessities. A proper emergency kit should contain the following:
- One gallon of water per person per day for at least three days
- A three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery powered radio
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Seven-day supply of any medications
- A whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask to help filter contaminated air
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags, and plastic ties
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Can opener for food
- A local map
- Cell phone and solar chargers
2. Make a Plan
- Talk with members of your household or business and review or create an evacuation plan. Businesses should have an evacuation and emergency response plan in place in the event of a disaster.
- Learn about your community’s hurricane response plan. Plan routes to local shelters, coordinate transfer for family members with medical needs and make a plan for your pets. The Red Cross has a hurricane app, a shelter finder app and a first aid app that can help as well.
- Evacuate if advised by authorities and be careful to avoid flooded roads and washed out bridges.
- Use the Facebook Safety Check to let family and friends know you are safe.
- Review your insurance policy to make sure you are covered for floods and water damage.
3. Stay Informed
- Stay alert and listen to weather forecasts for warnings and updates.
- Heed any warnings and take the necessary precautions.
- Use resources like those offered by the National Hurricane Center and the Red Cross to prepare and react once the storm hits.
At Arbill, it is our mission to ensure that each worker returns home safely after every shift. For those affected by the impending storm we hope these resources are helpful in ensuring the safety of you and your loved ones.